Thursday 27 March 2014

Backgrounds and Beginnings

I know I’m safe, I know everything will be fine – so why am I on edge?

We have all been there; whether it is walking down a dark alley way at night, out in the woods, or sprinting up the stairs just after turning the lights off. My mind at least, has a fantastic ability to generate a gut wrenching sense of impending doom when deep down, on a rational level I know everything is absolutely fine.

Wormhole space has the ability to provoke this reaction. Nothing can physically hurt me, worst comes to worst I'll just watch some pixels explode, but it's the twist in my stomach when I see probes on scan, or hear the twang of a wormhole activation that draws me to chase a career inside unknown space. 

I first jumped into a wormhole during week one of my Eve career. I knew about D-Scan, so as soon as I was inside I hit scan. I scrolled through the list of moons and planets (god bless the moment I found the active overview settings box), I finally saw:

Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes
Sisters Combat Scanner Probes

After doing the tutorial missions I knew what this meant, somebody is out there and somebody is looking for me. My hands shaking I smashed the jump button and held my breath until I was wrapped safe and sound in my high-security space comfort blanket. From this point I stayed in high sec, learnt how to mine, mission and generally mooch around space. I flipped from corp to corp to corp looking for something to spike my interest never quiet finding the right thing.

Eventually about a month into my Eve life, I decided that I'd chase that feeling I got when I jumped into W-space. I grabbed a scanning frigate and kitted it out with my newly found fitting knowledge and proceeded into low security space (baby steps.. slowly slowly). I scanned and scanned, gathered some ISK hacking and salvaging. After posting on the forums, I was contacted by a newly founded exploration corp which I joined. The CEO of this corp was a fantastic influence on my early career - helping shape my solid set of core skills, and helping me with ship choices. The corp moved into a c3 with a lowsec static and I continued tootling around lowsec gaining confidence in dealing with hostile situations. 

Eventually I hit the 10mil SP boundary and wanted to move on, the call of wormhole space proper was becoming too loud to ignore.  Handily, an old member of the corp I was in had founded his own wormhole corporation living in a c4 with c3 static.  A few days ago I joined up, and moved my assets into this space - commencing a new adventure!

I plan to document my learning curve (I'm still less than a year old) and the corps learning curve, and I hope you'll enjoy my stories!

Welcome to my Blog, 

TJ Tamil.

5 comments:

  1. TJ, good luck on your adventure. Adding your blog to my "reading list" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks! I will try and keep them readable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading your blog been curious about W-space myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im also fairly new to the game ( 24mil sp ) and have a have a great desire to learn the teachings of bob. Thanks for the blog im starting from the beggining!

      Delete
  4. Good stuff! Don't be afraid to drop me a message in game if you need a hand getting into WSpace! Don't worry about the lack of content recently the blog isn't dead, real life is just a pain!

    ReplyDelete